Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Slack Key Open Mic

Going to pick up a friend coming in to L.A. today from Honolulu and going down to Dana Point in Orange County. Thinking of maybe stopping in at Kaisen's Sushi in Oceanside where the Southern California Slack Key Society hosts a ki ho'alu open mic session at 6pm every Tuesday. My nail on my right hand middle finger was ripped off last week so I cut off all the other nails - first time in probably years - so not sure if I can play good right now but might give it a try. Kaisen's is at 1906 Oceanside Blvd in Oceanside and it's one of those wannabe Japanese restaurants not actually owned by Japanese so don't expect authenticity, the service sucks in my opinion and they're too tight-fisted to even give some sort of discount to the people who come and play (which in turn brings more people to the restaurant) but the people in the Society like Mike and Bill and Dusty and Terry (who make up pretty much the entire Society membership) are all wonderful people who play good slack key and they are supportive so fun can still be had here. So maybe I'll see you there tonight!

No comments: