Friday, May 21, 2010

Author Alan Brennert at South Pasadena Library

The other night I had the privilege to meet Alan Brennert, author of Moloka'i and Honolulu, at the South Pasadena library. I love going to Pasadena! The library had heard about me from the El Segundo library (who had heard about me from the Carson library who heard from Manhattan Beach) and invited me to come play some Hawaiian slack key guitar and ukulele to start off the evening featuring a book signing and reading by the author. Since we were in a library, I tried to throw out a little history I thought some people less familiar with Hawaiian music might find interesting, like how the vaqueros (Mexican cowboys) first brought the guitar to Hawaii and how contemporary rockers like George Harrison fell in love with the ukulele (which came from Portugal, originally) so I played songs like "Aloha Oe" and "Here Comes The Sun" on the ukulele as well as "Amazing Grace" and one of my all time fave songs "What A Wonderful World" on slack key guitar.
Alan did a little reading from the newer book Honolulu then entertained some questions from the audience. Best part was learning he lived right here in Southern California and I look forward to getting together for lunch or a cup of coffee with him soon.
Check out his books - Moloka'i and Honolulu on Amazon here. Alan Brennert is the author of the best-selling historical novels MOLOKA'I and HONOLULU, as well as the contemporary novels TIME AND CHANCE and KINDRED SPIRITS. He has also written short stories, teleplays, screenplays, and the libretto of a stage musical, WEIRD ROMANCE, with music by Alan Menken and lyrics by David Spencer. His work on the television series L.A. LAW earned him an Emmy Award in 1991, and his short story "Ma Qui" was honored with a Nebula Award in 1992.

No comments: