Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Slack Key DVD Documentary by Eddie Kamae

A few days ago I received my copy of Ki Ho'alu: Slack Key The Hawaiian Way, a DVD documentary of Hawaiian slack key guitar, Hawaii's gorgeous, indigenous fingerpicking guitar style. I've really been enjoying it! You'll recognize some of the names and faces that have appeared at the Southern California Slack Key Festival like George Kahumoku Jr, Ledward Kaapana and Dennis Kamakahi. Gary Haleamau, who was a part of the 2008 Aloha Falsetto Festival, is also in there and you'll get to see him again at the 2011 Slack Key Festival in Redondo Beach January 23. Lots of great interviews and music from Gabby Pahinui (Cyril's father), Raymond Kane, George Kuo, and even my UH college professor Lisa Smith!

I never would have thought - back when I was attending the Slack Key Festival in Hawaii (when it used to be held at the McCoy Pavilion at Ala Moana park) - that I'd be hiring these people for my shows and becoming friends with them.

This film premiered at the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C., during a special day of screenings at the American Film Institute honoring Eddie Kamae's Legacy Series. Jim "Kimo" West says he was there on Maui back when they had just wrapped up the filming and remembers them partying it up at the local restaurant/bar. Lots of great playing techniques that you just don't see anymore like the sewing needle hanging from the mouth and banging up against the string and right hand tapping. I'm sure you'll enjoy this documentary as much as I am.

No comments: